CLEVELAND – BUSINESS WIRE Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. announced Thursday that it has set a goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent by 2030 on a mass basis (tons per year) compared to its 2017 baseline. The company announced its Company website under a detailed plan setting out its strategic priorities www.clevelandcliffs.com.
Lourenco Goncalves, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, “At Cleveland-Cliffs, we recognize that one of the most important problems affecting our planet is climate change. The American steel industry is one of the cleanest and most energy efficient in the world. Therefore, using steel Made in USA is an extremely positive step in protecting the planet from massive pollution embedded in the steel produced in other countries. “
Mr. Goncalves added, “Over the past year Cleveland-Cliffs has grown to become the largest producer of flat steel in North America. As a company that currently employs more than 25,000 people, the vast majority of whom have well-paid, middle-class union jobs, our commitment to doing business that is environmentally and socially responsible remains our priority. As we continue to grow the company in the future, we will vigorously pursue the opportunities outlined in our commitment to reduce greenhouse gases and be transparent to our stakeholders by regularly reporting on our progress. “
The Cleveland-Cliffs plan is based on the implementation of the following five strategic priorities:
- Development of high-quality domestic iron ore raw materials and use of natural gas in the production of hot-briquetted iron (HBI);
- Implementation of energy efficiency and green electricity projects;
- Investing in the development of carbon capture technology;
- Improving our transparency regarding greenhouse gas emissions and a focus on sustainability; and
- Support public policy to facilitate CO2 reduction in the domestic steel industry
Copyright 2021 BUSINESS WIRE. All rights reserved.