02/23/2021 | 4th
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Jessica Braun and Silvia Martinez won two singles each to lead Ball State’s women’s tennis team to a win over Youngstown State on Saturday.
The Cardinals (4-2) defeated the Penguins 4-1 in the first game of the day and 4-0 in the second to extend their winning streak to four. Youngstown State (4-6), who had won a win against MAC opponents Toledo, saw their winning streak in three games.
Ball State only lost the colon of the first competition and won every single game on the day played to the end.
“I am very proud of our physical and mental resilience today,” said BSU head coach Max Norris said. “Youngstown has such a good program. Their players are very tough and smart. Mickael (Sopel) does a great job there every year.”
Braun lost a total of just five games over two wins in the No. 3 singles, while Martinez lost just seven games over her two wins in 6th place.
Emma Peeler at No. 1 singles and Livia Lukacs the other victories of the BSU in the first game fell in fifth place Amy Kaplan in 5th place, provided the other individual win was needed in the afternoon after the Cardinals took the colon.
“We didn’t play as well as we did in doubles, but I think we made some progress in the second game,” said Norris. “In the singles we focused well and played hard in both games. A lot of players were put in different situations and that’s huge for growth.”
The afternoon’s three unfinished singles games were closer, but the Cardinals got the three wins they needed. In fact, every single BSU victory that day came in straight sets.
With the team results already decided Rebecca Herrington and Mariya Polishchuk Both games remained unfinished, while Peeler’s afternoon game was also unfinished.
Ball State will now return home six times in a row, beginning Tuesday (4pm) and Wednesday (6:15 pm) with a one-on-one against Oakland at the Northwest YMCA Tennis Center in Muncie.
Game 1: Ball State 4, Youngstown State 1
1. Peeler (BSU) def. Teufl (YSU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Polishchuk (BSU) versus Rosas (YSU), 7-6 (5), 2-2, unfinished
3. Braun (BSU) def. Zagar (YSU), 6-1, 6-1
4. Herrington (BSU) versus Esteo (YSU), 4-6, 5-1, unfinished
5. Lukacs (BSU) def. Masarikova (YSU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Martinez (BSU) def. Stanmore (YSU), 6-1, 6-3
Order of execution: 6, 3, 1, 5
Doubles the results
1. Esteo / Rosas (YSU) def. Sec / Kaplan (BSU), 6-4
2. Teufl / Masarikova (YSU) def. Herrington / Lukacs (BSU), 6-3
3. Peeler / Braun (BSU) def. Zagar / Stanmore (YSU), 6-2
Order of execution: 3,2,1
Game 2: Ball State 4, Youngstown State 0
1. Peeler (BSU) versus Rosas (YSU), 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
2. Polishchuk (BSU) versus Teufl (YSU), 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
3. Braun (BSU) def. Esteo (YSU), 6-2, 2-1, retired
4. Kaplan (BSU) def. Zagar (YSU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Herrington (BSU) versus Stanmore (YSU), 1-6, 5-2, unfinished
6. Martinez (BSU) def. Barbosa (YSU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of execution: 3, 6, 4
Doubles the results
1. Lukacs / Polishchuk (BSU) def. Esteo / Rosas (YSU), 6-1
2. Teufl / Masarikova (YSU) def. Braun / Peeler (BSU), 6-2
3. Kaplan / Desai (BSU) def. Zagar / Barbosa (YSU), 7-6 (5)
Order of execution: 2, 1, 3