Cleveland Clinic becoming a member of research of vaccine allergic response

0
395

Anaphylaxis – or a severe allergic reaction – to COVID-19 vaccines occurs in about 2.5 to 5.5 people per 1 million doses.

CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Clinic is recruiting 113 volunteer students who are compensated to partake in researching whether certain factors make them more prone to allergic reactions COVID-19 Vaccinations.

Serious allergic reactions are very rare, but researchers need to understand potential risk factors so that people can find an alternative.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and PreventionIn the US, more than 237 million doses of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer or Moderna have been administered. electricity research suggests that anaphylaxis – or a severe allergic reaction – to these mRNA vaccines occurs in about 2.5 to 5.5 people per 1 million doses.

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), directs a multicenter clinical study To study the incidence of anaphylactic reactions to mRNA vaccines and whether certain risk factors increase the likelihood of these potentially life-threatening allergic reactions.

The Cleveland Clinic is the only clinical site in Ohio participating in the study and will recruit up to 113 volunteer patients. A total of 3,400 adults in 35 academic allergy research institutions nationwide will participate in this study. About 60% of the study participants have a history of severe allergies or a diagnosis of mast cell disorder. The remaining 40% have no history of allergy.

“We recognize that some people are reluctant to get vaccinated. Participants in this study will receive either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine under the watchful eye of an allergist trained to identify and treat anaphylaxis,” said he David Lang, MD, Chairman of the Department of Allergy & Immunology in the Cleveland Clinic Respiratory Instituteis a lead investigator in the process.

Emergency medication, oxygen, and medical equipment are available to manage allergic reactions as needed. Participants will be observed for at least 90 minutes after each injection in case any type of reaction occurs – three times longer than current CDC guidelines.

Potential study participants are between 18 and 69 years old. Individuals who have already received a COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) are not eligible.

Individuals in high-risk populations with COVID-19 or severe allergic reactions to vaccines, such as people of African descent, African American, Hispanic, and women, are particularly encouraged to register.

After each injection, participants will be asked to monitor their symptoms for a week and will be contacted by the study team after each injection. Participation in the study takes four to nine weeks, depending on whether the participants receive the placebo.

For more information on participating in this study, please call 216-444-8758 or email [email protected].

Editor’s Note: The video below is from a previously published story